Thursday 15 July 2010

24V Conversion Progresses


Iskra 24V Starter Motor, replacement for our Perkins supplied 12V Starter.
I have made some good progress with the 24V conversion, Having finally got hold of part numbers from Perkins for the 24V parts required for our engine (Why they couldn't supply it 24V in the first place sill baffles me!). I started by getting a quote from Perkins, the Starter was £350 and the ESOS was £100! Unfortunately the part numbers were Perkins numbers, so the exact make/models were not know, however, I thought a google search would be worth a shot.. bingo! I found the starter was made by Iskra. A couple of phone calls later and I got a price of £260 for the starter and £80 for the ESOS, but why stop there! I found a number for the Iskra distributor and phoned them up, got the starter for £120!!! bargain! Now how can Perkins justify £350??

As I struggled to get any information out of Perkins to convert my engine, I thought I should publish my findings here, to aid others who may wish to do the same. I should point out that these part numbers worked for me and fitted my engine, check your part numbers and engine type, they may be different!

Engine: 404D-22T

12 V System
12V Starter:
  • Perkins Part No: U85086770
  • Perkins Cost: £240
  • Manufacturer P/N: Remy 8000227
  • Cost: Unknown
12V ESOS:
  • Perkins Part No: Unknown
  • Perkins Cost: Unknown
12V Altenater:
  • Perkins Part No: Unknown
  • Perkins Cost: Unknown
12V Glow Plugs:
  • Perkins Part No: Unknown
  • Perkins Cost: Unknown
24V System
24V Starter:
  • Perkins part no: TPN803 
  • Perkins Cost: £350
  • Manufacturer P/N:  Iskra IS1100
  • Cheapest Supplier Found: http://www.iskraauto.co.uk/
  • Cost: £120
24V ESOS:
  • Perkins Part No: TPN884
  • Perkins Cost: £110
  • Manufacturer P/N: Unknown
  • Cheapest Supplier Found: www.wellandpower.net  
  • Cost: £80 
24V Altenater:
  • PerkinsPart No: N/A
  • Perkins Cost: £150
24V Glow Plugs:
  • Perkins Part No: 185366100
  • Perkins Cost: Unkonwn
  • Alternative: Durite 01-130-29  (www.thetoolboxshop.com)
  • Cost: £9.48 each

New Starter Motor and 24V Alternator fitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.